Back to Shop

3. St Mary's Church Yard

Hidden away in the path are two brass markers. They could have been used for measuring rope or fabric to sell in the weekly market. Henry III granted a weekly Thursday market in Cheltenham in 1226.

What's the history?

These brass markers are a bit of a puzzle, art historian Nicolas Pevsner describes them as markers for measuring rope but it’s also been suggested that they were used for measuring cloth.  Local historians Steven Blake and Jill Waller agree either could be an option but without sufficient evidence it is also difficult to date them exactly.  Rope was made in Cheltenham and amongst the principle trades recorded in 1608 there was one silk weaver, ten weavers, four tailors (Cheltenham, A New History by Anthea Jones). In his book on Heritage Walks, David Elder notes on the ‘south side of the churchyard path there are brass measuring marks approximately 7 cm in length….used by traders to check the measurements of rope and cloth’.  The two existing markers are about 4.9 metres apart and the missing one might have been in between.

Fabric widths are determined by the looms they are woven on and could range from anything from 50cm to over a metre depending on the fabric and where they were woven.  For example, silks tend to be narrower than woollen cloths because they are more expensive.  Also because silk was expensive it was sold by weight rather than length. Lengths were measured in cubits (elbow to middle finger tip) and yards (whole length of an outstretched arm).

It might be possible to find out more about our mystery markers in the Gloucestershire Archives.

Historical image shows an engraving published in 1787.

A local opinion

Coming soon…….

Back to top

Donating to the Cheltenham Trust will support future art, culture and sport activity and much more…

Donate now